and kids

and kids

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Faithfulness

As many of you know, we've been sick. I got shingles and all the kids have had the stomach flu. All the while, we've been stuck at home because of the Winter Storm of 2011. It has been a long week.

There was much debate about who should go to church this morning. I won't bore you with the drama, but I knew I needed to go. I needed to get out of the house, especially for worship.

Here was our Confession of Faith today:

Heidelberg Catechism, Q. 26

What do you believe when you say, "I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth?"

That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who out of nothing created the heavens and the earth and everything in them, Who still upholds and rules them by His eternal counsel and providence, is my God and Father because of Christ His Son. I trust Him so that I do not doubt that He will provide whatever I need for body and soul, and He will turn to my good whatever adversity He sends me in this world. He is able to do this because He is Almighty God; He desires to do this because He is a faithful Father.


Then, during the sermon, we were directed to James 4:2, 3

"...You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives"

It isn't common for someone my age to get shingles. Do you know what would cause someone like me to get shingles? Stress!

I know, I know, you can't imagine I would have any stress. I don't think that just normal stress would cause such a reaction as shingles. Without going into too much detail at this time, Jason and I have been making some very big decisions lately. It has produced a lot of late night discussions, a lot of planning, some more discussions and a lot of stress!

I've prayed, but in hindsight, I've prayed with an attitude.

Worship today was exactly what I needed. The Lord is faithful. I know that. We've been through a roller coaster of self-employed jobs over the last six years. He has always taken care of us. I've got stories. Yet, when a new challenge is in front of me, I waiver. I never can imagine that the details will work out, yet they always do. Of course, they work out according to the Lord's plan, not mine. Sometimes it takes me years to see how His plan is better than my plan. He is faithful and I should never doubt Him.

Oh Lord, You Have Been Good
You Have Been Faithful to All Generations
Oh Lord, Your Steadfast Love
And Tender Mercy
Have Been Our Salvation
For By Your Hand We Have Been Fed
And By Your Spirit We Have Been Led
Oh Lord, Almighty God
Father Unchanging, Upright and Holy
Oh Lord, You Have Been Faithful, You Have Been Good
Forgive me for praying with an improper attitude,
help me to trust your ways,
help me to remember your faithfulness.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I do love that song. So happy for you that He is showing you so clearly His peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. understand, friend. Praying for you! love u! TAB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get you...that's why I got stomach ulcers...when Ethan went to draw for his paychecks...there was no guaranteed salary...but you know what? I love it...because as stressful as it is, every month I get to see God provide...a total daily bread thing...it is really a blessing...I will pray for your decisions, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter