and kids

and kids

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mollee/Molly/Maili

Jason and I put a lot of heart into our children's names (believe it or not?). Of course, the boys have unique names (Tavis, Daegan, Capps and Haynes) and you may wonder where Mollee fits in. To start this explanation I must say we were looking for Scottish names for everyone - for example, Jason's middle name is Thomas and Tavis is the Scottish form of Thomas. All the kids also have a Scottish clan for their middle name. We found an old Scottish spelling of the name Molly and we loved it: Maili. This was the one! We then experienced other people's opinions of this spelling and how it would never be pronounced right, blah, blah, blah..

and we hesitated.

Jason's story would be that it was me that backed down and wanted to pick a more normal spelling (I don't feel like it was me). At that point, she was already Mollee to us in utero, no matter how we decided to spell it. Then she was born and we chose the 'ee' ending.

Now she is 3rd grade and learning cursive. I started to notice that her papers were coming home with the 'y' ending instead. What? When I questioned her about it, it turns out it is more fun to write a 'y' in cursive rather than an 'ee'.

Seriously? After all that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter