and kids

and kids

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Free Time

Usually in the afternoon I try to give the kids "free time" for an hour or so. This is a break from math worksheets, geography homework, reading time, recorder practice, etc.

We (meaning = 'mean old mom' and Dad goes along with it) have started to limit their TV time. They would only watch about 45 minutes of TV after school, but I'm done with even that. Now, they only get two days throughout the week of this TV time. Actually, we call it "media time" and sometimes they choose Xbox games for their time and/or computer games. I get to choose the days, it ends up being whatever works depending on our schedule and homework load on any particular week.

The kids are fairly predictable how they will spend their free time and I love it because it is such an expression of their personalities.

Mollee goes to her doll house, which absolutely thrills me. That means she is still a little girl and isn't too big to play for her Polly Pockets and Barbies. She is growing up fast, but I love to walk by her room and see her in 'make believe' world and know, she still enjoys being a kid.

Daegan almost always goes to Legos. That boy can sit and build forever. His determination and creativity never cease to amaze me. If we are having a "no media" day and he has no homework he will go to his room and build Legos from the time he gets home from school (3:30) until I call them for dinner (6:30). Although, sometimes he'll draw with his brothers.

Tavis and Capps never stop drawing. I mentioned here that Tavis wanted to be an illustrator when he grew up. I have stacks and stacks of computer paper *hmpf* all over the house because they have gotten into different drawing frenzies. Yesterday we went to Target to run in for some new pencils (another story, apparently we always buy invisible ones??). Tavis and Capps both wanted to spend their allowance on new little notebooks. They were only 50 cents, but do you know how many notebooks these boys already have??

The reason I started this post was to share this picture with you. Tavis was drawing a Robot Alien and I was so impressed with all the details and strokes of the pencil that he did on this drawing. Capps usually goes for shapes and colors (or he annoys Tavis and copies his exact drawing on a less detailed scale). This was one of I found of his from the other day. Since Mac has free time all day he is never sure what the big deal is about it. He'll draw some or build Legos or play with Mollee or just go to his room and play with trains. That is also a blessing because I feel like the last kid in a big family usually requires entertainment while the others aren't home but Mac is happy to go to his room and play by himself.

Now that the weather is finally cooling off there will be a lot more climbing trees and bike riding!!

1 comment:

  1. I am VERY impressed with your artists also. That robot is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter