and kids

and kids

Saturday, January 28, 2012

sick, blah, blah, antibiotics, blah, blah

this is just for the record books

I've been sick. It has been a long five or so long weeks around here (yes, I said 'long' twice). I've slept a lot. Remember some. Whined a lot. Done little housework.

Fortunately, it has rained a lot, which means Jason can't work - and has been home to help out. Unfortunately, it has rained a lot, which means Jason can't work.

The first two or so weeks I just knew I'd be better soon, but continued to feel crummy. Then I started a z-pack for a sinus infection. By the end of those five days, I wasn't doing better and my jaw/ears throbbed. I started a 10-day round of Augmentin to work harder to clear up the sinus infection. I felt awful so I saw my allergist to make sure this was my only option. By day 8 and 9, I spent two days in bed, in more pain than I'd like to remember. I have a really high pain tolerance, but this was more than I could bear. And I was living on Percocet and Lortab with not much relief.

I couldn't get in to see my ENT for three weeks. I called my Dad and he called in a for me (it helps that he and my ENT are old college buddies) and I got in the next day, which was a major blessing. After I described my past four weeks, he scoped my nose (an unpleasant-never-want-to-do-that-again experience) and he did x-rays. He was horrified by what he saw and said it was a "medical emergency" sinus infection. Apparently, even after two round of antibiotics, my maxillary sinus cavity was full of puss, causing all the pain in my face. It is never reassuring to have a friend/laid-back doctor act that concerned.

So, I got three days of rocephrin antibiotic shots, which are worth 24 hours of IV antibiotics. Then started a 20-day round of Omnicef. He told me to do nose spray (which he gave me), keep doing my allergy meds and, because of my pain he told me to take 3x the Lortab dose I had been taking.

So, I was sleeping even more, but getting some relief. I am on day 8 of Omnicef, which means I've been taking antibiotics for 23 days, with 12 to go, and maybe more. I hate taking antibiotics and I hate taking pain meds, but I know how much pain I was in and I'm trying to be a good patient. In another week I go back for more x-rays and that will determine if I have to take a second 20-day round of Omnicef.

*sigh*

And that is the reason for the lack of blogging.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. I hate taking antibiotics too. I have struggled with sinus infections all my life, but nothing close to that. We'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter