and kids

and kids

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

AR Maniacs!

I think I've mentioned before that our school does the AR Reading program. This means that the kids take tests on books after they read them and get points according to the level of book, the length of the book and how good they did on the test.

It is great way to make sure they are reading on the appropriate level and that they are comprehending what they are reading. Basically, they are required to get about 10 points a quarter.

We did a lot of reading this summer and they got some "medals" for that in the first week of school. Mollee got a 25 pt medal and a 50 pt medal. Daegan got a 25 pt medal. Tavis also got a 25 pt medal, but by the time I wanted to take a picture, he wasn't sure where it was. They used to have awards handed out for the past week at the end of chapel. Now they've decided to have the last chapel of each month as Awards Chapel. Today was the day.

Capps got his first ever award! He doesn't actually have to participate until second semester, but he has taken tests on his own and got an award today.Tavis is a good reader and a fast reader. He has recently gotten hold of our Percy Jackson books and they are worth a lot of points. He got two certificates today.Daegan never met a "points system" that he didn't like. He thrives at competition and he is reading a book every day and taking tests on them. He already has 70 points for the year (keeping in mind he only needs 10 per quarter). Apparently, if the teacher allows (and I'm glad she doesn't always allow), he just sits in his classroom and reads during recess. Today he got five awards, plus a 50 pt medal.The different colors are for different levels of reading.

I'm so proud of them and glad they like reading. I was always a slow reader and never cared much about it until recent years. And yes, I'm still a slow reader. I am trying to read through the Percy Jackson Series myself, which is 5 books and then another set of 2 books (so far). I started about 6 months ago and I'm on book 1 of the second series. Tavis just started and is about to finish book 5 of the first series, which means he is going to want my book soon! I might as well give it to him because he'll finish it quick and then I can get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter