and kids

and kids

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Shuffle helps numbers?

OK, I know you are tired of hearing about the Shuffle, but I put it to the test tonight. I've decided (we'll see how long it lasts) that I need to run a 5k every Sunday night. I usually have my best workout on Sunday night because Jason is around and if there is a tragedy, I don't have to stop - Daddy can handle it. I've only attempted a 5k on the treadmill once before (I know it is completely different when attempted outdoors...babysteps), it was right before I was put on 'no exercise' for 2 1/2 weeks due to a procedure done for vertigo.

I'm a numbers person. I know, that may make me a geek, but I like lists and numbers. I keep track of random things, just because. I keep track of my running online. It really helps to look back at what I've done, what my time was and certain conditions (sleep quality, ankle troubles, etc.). I know - geek! I'm also extremely competitive, so this helps me look at what I've done and desire to do better.

Blogging about it also helps me push to do better.

So, tonight I ran/walked a 5k. Here are some numbers that some of you runners could probably laugh at, but for me, they are a huge improvement.

I have run a 13 1/2 minute mile, but my first mile has been around 14:25 consistently. Tonight I didn't want to push too hard because I was going for a 5k, but my first mile was 14:05. When I ran the other 5k (on July 15) my time was 54:50. Tonight my time was 49:05 (almost a 6 minute improvement). I probably could have pushed harder, but I wanted to improve next Sunday night and not get frustrated if I had a slower time - silly, I know!

This is all exciting to me. I was a lot more focused on the goal when I could put on my iPod headphones and not hear all the kids questions/problems.

I still desire to find a good pair of runnings shoes, but I don't know if that really helps your time or just your comfort?

..wonder what the chances are I'll get up for 6AM aerobics...hmmm...?

1 comment:

  1. I find it almost impossible to run without my ipod. I turn it up as loud as I can stand it so that I can't here the kids in the background...I figure if it's something tragic they will come and get me.

    New running shoes always help! You should go see Chad at Front Runner and get fitted, it really makes a difference in comfort...and if you're feet and legs are more comfortable, you run better too!

    Congrats on the running, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter