and kids

and kids

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Anniversary Weekend!

The last 22 hours (but who is counting?), Jason and I have enjoyed life sans kiddos.

Monday will be our 13th anniversary. We've never really done anything for our anniversary, except our first anniversary (which seemed like an accomplishment at the time) we took a weekend trip away. Other anniversary's we may have exchanged a card or maybe even gone out to eat. We had "big plans" for a 10th anniversary weekend, but I was 7 months pregnant and that just didn't happen.

I'm embarrassed to say, I've never even spent a night away from my kids except to be in the hospital having a baby. Is that sad?

This anniversary will be one that I will remember. Why #13? - because we could. I've been saving my 'extra' babysitting pennies to have a special evening away without thinking about the credit card bill in regret a week later. I took my camera, but didn't take any pictures. Jason (who doesn't understand all the pictures I take) said he wants to remember the weekend through his mental memories. I still would have liked to get some pics, but, oh, well....

We dropped the kids off at my parents house a little before 5:00. We checked in to a very nice hotel downtown and then we had a reservation at a new Italian-ish restaurant downtown. I, honestly, was a little nervous about going to a fancy restaurant. Will we pay too much to eat food we don't really like? Everything was wonderful. The atmosphere was wonderful, the service was magnificent and the food was...... I can't think of a word, but I have nothing negative to say about it. It was more of a treat than I anticipated. Jason and I shared the bruschetta, and we each had a caesar salad (lettuce picked that morning). Jason got mushroom lasagna with a white sauce and I got pork shoulder (I know, real Italian!) with cooked apples. Of course, we had to get gelato for dessert - I wanted to try the pistachio, but we played it safe and stuck with the vanilla.

If I 'sleep in' at home it usually means 7:30. I'm not necessarily a morning person (meaning, I'm not all happy and smiles), but I can't sleep in (I've got things to do). With no responsibilities, I slept in until 9:45. Unfortunately, we missed breakfast, but that was probably better because we checked out at 11:30 and headed to the other side of the river for a few more hours together. Meaning more food. We went to our favorite (when we were in our first four years of marriage without kids) pizza pub. Jason got his sausage and mushroom pizza and I got a veggie pizza. It was just as delicious as I remember, we had to top it off with our favorite ice cream shop down the street. I got pumpkin ice cream (just because!) and Jason, of course, got the vanilla.

We, reluctantly, went and picked up the kids. Of course, they didn't want to go. They wanted to spend one more night (why not?). But we needed to get home....

I needed a nap!

2 comments:

  1. pumpkin ice cream! yes! i'm jealous of all your time away. but then again, you have 5 kids and i have 1.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter