and kids

and kids

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Perspective

Do you ever have a pity party for yourself and then view things in a different perspective and realize how selfish you are?

For a week-and-a-half, Jason was working an hour away, so he was working long days to make the trip worth it. Most nights he got home after the kids went to bed. I joked (ok, maybe complained) that I wasn't cut out to be a single mom.

Then, I had my sister-in-law and her four kids over for dinner. She was in the middle of 17-days by herself, while my brother was overseas taking a class for his International Business Masters.

While we were talking, we were discussing the fact that my cousin is about to endure another year 'alone' (with her five children) while her husband is overseas serving this country in Afghanistan.

What was I complaining about?

I just saw a special about military families. They were interviewing these young children talking about their fathers being overseas. One 11-year old boy has only seen his father for 5 months out of the last 2 1/2 years. One 13-year girl was really struggling because her Dad had already been gone for 13-months and was about to have to go again for another 13 months.

What was I complaining about?

Unfortunately, it will probably be my first response to complain again about Jason's late nights. But I pray that I have a better perspective and just be thankful that he has work.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate when i spell things wrong! i'll start over! my coffee, apparantly, hasn't yet hit my head.
    what i meant to say was:
    DITTO.
    and.
    i think that is esp hard if your "love language" happens to be "quality time". (mine does).... makes this a constant source of sanctification in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter