and kids

and kids

Monday, November 16, 2009

CAA

Did I mention I put myself in CAA?

Hello, my name is Gretchen Brown (Hello, Gretchen). It has been three weeks since my last Coke.

This may mean nothing to you, but in this battle to lose weight I decided to take baby steps toward losing weight, instead of starting some major diet that would frustrate me. First step: cut out all coke, tea and coffee - they are just empty calories. I love Coke, not Diet Coke, I hate that, I want the real thing. I also enjoy tea and coffee, but I don't need them, I don't need them, I don't need them - I'm still trying to convince myself. That leaves me with a lot of water, Crystal Light tea for flavor, and Diet Pepsi or Diet Mountain Dew when caffeine is necessary. Did I mention that I love Coke?

As part of the first step, I am getting back into my exercising. I still haven't been given clearance to run (*hmpf*), but I am doing aerobics in the morning at least four times a week and each night I walk on the treadmill for 45-70 minutes (I've even cheated and had some 90 second runs to boost my heart rate - shhh, don't tell). It is getting to the point that I crave the exercise, which I love that feeling. I can't wait until I am really running, but I'm happy with what I've been able to do for now.

I've also been keeping a food log. I've never really done this before, but it is amazing (or sad) if you actually do it. I'm a grazer, but now, since I have to write it down, I think twice about raiding the kids Halloween bag for a snack size Snickers. I know this wouldn't work for some marriages, but Jason handles it just right, so I leave my log on the counter (so it is easy to write things down immediately) and he can look at it any time. That is good motivation! I've been keeping track of calories, fat grams, fiber and protein (since I'm doing weights in my aerobics I was told to make sure I was getting enough protein, which I haven't been doing, so I drink a protein shake after aerobics).

So, three weeks in, what I have learned? Calories add up quickly, I don't really need Coke, if I eat oatmeal for breakfast it really kills my snacking needs throughout the morning, I can drink water, I don't need Coke (did I say that already?), exercise is good, etc. I also have found that I don't crave the grease that I once craved. Jason wanted to go get Zaxby's chicken last night, which is my favorite, and it just didn't sound good. It could have just been my mood, but I think it is also that I realize how long I'd have to walk on the treadmill to burn it off.

I'm not saying I'm a health nut and that you'll never see me eating junk food, but I have been making some major changes that I hope stay life changes. Since I assume I won't be getting pregnant again I have motivation to get this 'baby weight' off and I don't want to keep playing the roller-coaster weight game.

I'm going to stick with it. I have to do this! I can do this!

Nothing like a little pep talk for yourself!

PS. I've lost 9 lbs in three weeks, that is also good motivation!

1 comment:

  1. Great job!!! I love Diet Coke, have to admit. I don't drink it all that often and also? I WILL NEVER GIVE UP COFFEE. ha

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter