and kids

and kids

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Mommy's Birthday Saga

My birthday started early this morning when Mac woke up at 12:49 AM. If he awakes in between sleep cycles and sees a light on in the house, he just assumes it is time to get up. Disclaimer * Jason and I do not leave lights on, the kids leave them on when they go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, this happens a few times a week. Thankfully, he goes right back to sleep as soon as I inform him it is the middle of the night. Unfortunately, I usually can't get back to sleep.


I usually work on Tuesday, babysitting David, but I asked for today off many weeks ago. I did not ask because it was my birthday, but because the three oldest kids were getting reading awards in chapel for their summer reading. Of course, I really wanted to be there! This event started off the crazy/hecticness of my day when it was pouring down rain while Mac and I were trying to get to the auditorium. We made it, got seated and when I got my camera out to take a picture of the kids getting their awards, the card was still in the computer at home so I couldn't take any pictures. And we all know how important pictures are to me....

I did stay to eat lunch with the kids, which is always a treat for me. Daegan's class was first in the lunchroom and he came to sit, but didn't want to eat because he had a bad headache. For Daegan not to eat and complain of a headache usually means strep.

Capps came and got to invite his new friend Keegan to eat with us. Apparently, Capps fell on the way out of chapel (or got pushed) and he fell into a puddle, soaking his clothes and he had to change before coming to lunch. This did not please him, but he was excited that I brought doughnuts for our Summer Reading/Mommy's birthday celebration! Tavis' class was next and he invited new friend, Benjamin. Mollee, of course, invited Katie. It is so fun that Katie is one of her friends because Katie's mother and I attended this same school together many years ago.

As lunch time went on, Daegan seemed to get more and more pitiful. I decided he would leave school early with me and get him to the Dr. for a strep test. Jason called and said he was heading home early because of the rain, so we met at the house for a few minutes of down time and then I headed to the Dr. office and Jason took Mac and went to pick up the kids after school.

After a long wait, Daegan did have strep - so glad I took him in! I took him home, got the kids started on homework and headed back out the door to get his medication filled, along with picking up some dinner since our out-to-eat plans weren't going to happen with a sick kid.

I got home around 5:45 and we ate quicker than normal. With Mommy's birthday you are never sure if it is really going to be celebrated or not. Apparently, Mollee had snuck out with Grandma to get me a gift (having one girl does have its advantages) and Jason did a good job to get all the kids to make me a card. He also had a gift for me and had a cake for me that the kids were very excited about. He did a good job this year! :)

Unfortunately, I had to head back out the door at 6:45 for a 7:00 orientation meeting at school. Jason finished up homework help and I'm just back home checking my 55+ Facebook messages of birthday greetings.

Not exactly the hectic day I had planned, but that is how it goes sometimes with five little ones. I think a key phrase for a Mommy is: Be Flexible!

I do feel loved and appreciate all the wishes! Here's hoping Jason and I will end up on a date this weekend, if no one else comes down with strep.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Thanks for sharing your doughnuts with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Happy Birthday! Hope you get that date!!! so sorry about Daegan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word!!! Well, at least if you didn't get to come sit with Arianna at CFA, you picked up food and didn't have to cook. :) Happy Birthday, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a birthday! Hi. Found you from your link on fb! Happy belated birthday! Sorry about strep. Hopefully you caught it quick enough that no one else gets it. How old is Mac?

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter