and kids

and kids

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Skype

My new best friend.

With a sister in South Africa, I can't imagine life without Skype. Yes, we are spoiled, but this is a spoiling I am especially thankful for.

I think back to the generation before and those that chose to serve on the mission field. Your only communication was a letter via snail mail that was usually full of two week old information. Or a phone call that cost way too much.

One of my best friends in middle school went to Zaire, Africa, missing out on our high school years together. I remember the frustration (from a 14 year old's perspective) of the lack of communication. Thankfully, our friendship remained strong and we are now enjoying having our children in class together at the same school we attended.

So, back to Skype. Twice this week, I've noticed my sister's Skype button "ON" and I've been able to click it and say hello. Not only does it not cost me anything, but I can see her during the conversation. Crazy!!

It is always a good excuse to put housework on hold for a few minutes. And maybe a reason to get out of my PJs???

4 comments:

  1. we use skype too. Neither my parents or my husband's live close by, so we use it to talk to them...and they get to see the grandkids. It is pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we just started using skype so my kids can see their daddy when he works late :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful! I am thankful you finally got it! and now when can talk more often in peace! I miss you and LOVE you even more!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter