and kids

and kids

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cross-Cultural

The past three weeks, we have had the honor of having Gary as our guest. When the kids got home from school on Gary's first day with us, I introduced him to the kids as "Uncle Gary". With a smirk and a flirty point, Daegan said, "Not for three more weeks!" So, now, the kids can call him Uncle.

It has been fun having him here. (Mac and I are going to miss him tomorrow at breakfast). It has been fun to see my baby sister in love. It has also been a slight cross-cultural experience. I'm sure it has been much more of a shock for him than for us.

A bullet list (for you, Camille) to keep track of some differences:

  • First morning I asked him how he took his coffee, he said, "two sugars". Hmmmm?

  • The bathroom is the toilet or the bog

  • Cricket scores need to be checked in the morning, just like Nascar results!

  • A family favorite, that will forever be a phrase in our house, when you want to go take a nap, you call it a "do-do". That means something totally different over here? And a diaper is called a "nappy". So confusing!

  • A diary is a dayplanner/schedule/calendar

  • When he says he needs to do laundry, he means dump all his clothes into the washer without separating colors and whites (oh, wait, that wasn't cross cultural, just a guy thing!)

  • When he asks for tea, he means hot, not iced!

  • Khaki is not a type of pants or a color. I'll leave it at that.

  • A spanking is a hiding

  • A pacificer is a dummy

  • A trunk is boot and the hood is a bonnet

  • A truck is a bucky

  • Caramel is caramel - you can't see the difference, but my pronunciation has two syllabels and his has three.

We still get to hang out with Gary's family for another week and I know there will be others that I will add as I think of them or as we discover them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter