and kids

and kids

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The gift that keeps on giving

With the new year starting, I am working on taxes, which leads me to re-look at our budget.  In my next life, I'd like to be an RN, but then in my next life I'd like to be an accountant.  I love numbers!  Funny thing is, our numbers never add up.  I can tell you exactly (to the penny) how much money we have in checking at any given moment.  Jason would say I was crazy, I would say I am organized. 

I want to make it clear, when I say our numbers never add up, it is not due to poor bookkeeping.  It is because when I look at our expenses and compare them to our income, it never works out.  And yet, it always works out.  And I am always amazed by how it does.  The Lord never ceases to amaze me.

In the re-vamping of our budget, I realized (actually, I already knew this), I need to get back to coupons.  Our grocery budget is out-of-control without me shopping sales and using coupons.   Plus, I've been lazy and buying way more fast food then I'd like to admit. 

So, I need to use coupons, buy less fast food and get creative with what I have.

For Christmas, a friend brought us a huge ham.  We baked it Christmas day and it was awesome!  Then throughout the next week we had lots of yummy sandwiches.  And then you have to get creative to keep using the ham, without thinking you are eating ham all the time. 

One day we fried the ham and ate it with eggs.  And I was able to bag up some more ham and put it in the freezer for another ham and eggs day.  Another day I put the ham bone in the crock pot, added some dried beans and water, some celery and carrots, parsley and bay leafs and cooked it in all together ALL day.  We had delicious, yummy soup - and then Jason had some soup for lunches.  This morning I diced up a bunch of ham and made two bags for the freezer for future days and then made a breakfast casserole for dinner, topping it with ham. 

I am proud of these accomplishments.  Proud of how far I could take one ham.  I've had many days of homecooked meals around the table.  And that makes me happy. 

51 more weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter