and kids

and kids

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My version of 'Twas a Night Before Christmas' - 2013

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a kid was stirring, not even a mouse (well, maybe a mouse)
Snowflakes were hung around the house with care
In hopes that Christmas morn would soon be there.
The children were sleeping all alone in their beds,
While visions of BB guns danced in their heads.
With hubby at the Xbox and me in my PJs,
I finally sat down with the iPad to play.
When somewhere in a distance there arouse such a clatter
I sprang from my seat saying, "Now what's the matter?"
All I wanted was a little time all by myself
Then I saw something moving, maybe an elf?
I don't believe in Santa, this can't be real
I've done all my shopping and I got a great deal.
Then I was given a gift I cannot express
I was shown my life without a child's mess.

It turns out I don't mind the job I've been given.
The never ending laundry and shoes always hidden.
The dirty floors and bad dreams in the middle of the night
The bullies, the homework and the best friend fight.
The cooking of dinner that no one will eat
The snotty noses and coughs and the fever heat.
The endless dusting and scrubbing of the commode
All a very small price for this awesome abode.

When my five-year old showed up just for a hug,
I recognized my treasures, giving my heart a tug.
I'm constantly wishing my children's childhood away
When I should be enjoying them since they aren't gonna stay.
I kissed my little boy and tucked him back into bed
"Thank you, little man, for clearing my head."

I sometimes forget, they grow up too fast
And I need to make good memories that will forever last.
For now, I promise to enjoy them instead
Of waiting for the day they don't get out of bed.

Suddenly, through the blinds the sun began to shine
And I realized I'd fallen asleep and now it was time.
The kids were now waking and ready to begin
To celebrate the birth of our Lord and King!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter